Last Modified October 8, 2020
- Types of Information Treehouse Collects
- Children's Online Privacy Protection
- How Treehouse Uses Your Information
- Use of Your Information by Treehouse
- Online Tracking and Advertising
- Sharing Your Information with Other Companies; Onward Transfers
- Other Sites and Functionalities
- Your Controls and Choices; California and EU Residents
- Data Security
- Comments and Questions
- "Aggregate Information" means information about groups or categories of data, which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual.
- "Anonymous Information" means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual.
- "Flash Cookies" means local shared objects that are used to store personalized information based on visits to websites.
- "Personal Information" means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, postal address, email address or telephone number. We do not collect any biometric data. When Anonymous Information is directly or indirectly associated with Personal Information, this Anonymous Information also is treated as Personal Information.
2. Types of Information Treehouse Collects
We collect two basic types of information – Personal Information and Anonymous Information. We may use personal and anonymous information to create a third type of information – Aggregate Information.
Personal Information. There are several places where Treehouse gives you an opportunity to provide Treehouse your Personal Information. Treehouse may ask you to provide Personal Information when you engage in certain activities on a Site or an App, such as: signing up for the Treehouse newsletter; participating in social media activities involving third-party providers such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Swarm, or Yelp, whether at this Site or the social media websites; filling out a survey; sending feedback; downloading, installing or using an App; registering for sweepstakes or contests; or using a cell phone send text messages to or call Treehouse.
If you choose to share any Personal Information with Treehouse, you will see that the amount and type of Personal Information Treehouse requests depends on how you use the corresponding Site. It is completely optional for you to engage in these activities. Depending upon the activity, the information Treehouse asks you to provide will be identified as mandatory or voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity. When you do voluntarily provide your information, at the time of your submission, you will be directed to confirm your consent for the stated uses of that information.
While you can generally browse a Site without informing Treehouse about who you are or revealing Personal Information about yourself, Treehouse is still able to determine your IP address, which will reveal your location to Treehouse. Treehouse may use your IP address, together with other Personal Information that you may provide to us, such as your email address, to communicate with you directly about products and services that Treehouse believes may be of interest based on your activity on a Site.
Anonymous Information. In general, you can browse a Site without telling Treehouse who you are or revealing any Personal Information about yourself. Treehouse, however, collects your computer’s and/or mobile device’s IP address, which you necessarily disclose when you visit a Site or download or use an App so that data (such as the web pages you request) can be sent to your computer or mobile device. The Sites and/or Apps may utilize Cookies. Treehouse may use Cookie data to recognize you when you visit a Site or use an App in the future, to troubleshoot how a Site or an App operates, and for internal analysis of how people use a Site or an App. Should you decide not to accept Cookies from a Site or an App, you will limit the functionality Treehouse can provide you.Aggregate Information. We may use Google Analytics, third-party data analytics tools, and/or third party licensors to (i) monitor traffic on our Sites or Apps,, and (iii) use of Treehouse App and other software applications. Such tools are for Treehouse’s business purposes and help us to provide the kind of user-friendly, up-to-date information that online users expect to find. Personal Information is not monitored or collected through this process and Aggregate Information does not include (directly or by inference) any information identifying you or any identifiable individual.
Participation in Activities. When you engage in certain activities on a Site or an App, such as by registering or logging in as a user of an App or sending Treehouse a message using a Site, Treehouse may ask you to provide Personal Information and other information. In order to engage in such activities, you will be required to provide information that allows Treehouse to know the specifics of who you are or where you are, and may include, without limitation, your name, email address If you choose to share any Personal Information with Treehouse, you will see that the amount and type of Personal Information Treehouse requests depends on how you use a Site or an App. It is optional for you to engage in these activities. Depending upon the activity, some of the information Treehouse asks you to provide is identified as mandatory and some is voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity.
Examples. Examples of the type of information Treehouse and Provider may collect and store include are: first and last name; age and birthday; gender; mailing and email addresses, including zip code; and telephone number(s); device profile created and modified dates, shared device preferences, lists of social networks associated with a user, Facebook ID, Google Plus ID, Twitter Profile URL, LinkedIn Plus ID, Cookies, native device and applications unique identifiers (UIDs), custom identifiers, an application identifiers. When we gather this information for the subject activity, we will explain at the point of collection the purpose for that collection.
3. Children's Online Privacy Protection
In the event Treehouse knowingly collects, or it receives verified confirmation that it has received, Personal Information from Children, Treehouse will take additional steps to protect Children’s privacy, including:
- Notifying a parent or legal guardian about our information practices with regard to Children, including the types of Personal Information we may collect from Children, the uses to which we may put that information, and whether and with whom we may share that information;
- In accordance with applicable law, obtaining consent from a parent or legal guardian for the collection of Personal Information from their children, or for sending information about our products and services directly to their Children;
- Limiting our collection of Personal Information from Children to no more than is reasonably necessary to participate in an online activity; and
- Giving a parent or legal guardian access or the ability to request access to Personal Information we have collected from their Children and the ability to request that the Personal Information be changed or deleted.
4. How and Why Treehouse Collects Certain Information; Sources of Information
Treehouse may use your IP address to, among other things: (a) help diagnose problems with Sites or Apps, administer and improve Sites or Apps, and measure the use of Sites or Apps; (b) identify the type of web browsers used, the pages viewed, the web sites from which a visitor found Sites or Apps, and the search terms and search engines used to find the Site or Apps; and (c) gather other web analytics information relating to visitors’ uses and navigations of Sites or Apps. If you choose to use a mobile device with our Apps, WiFi or other services your location information may be shared. On occasion Treehouse may aggregate this data with data from other users to track overall visitor traffic patterns and provide this Aggregate Information to vendors, business partners, or other parties to demonstrate the amount of interest in Sites and Apps, help Treehouse plan for technical infrastructure requirements, and for other legitimate business reasons.
5. Use of Your Information by Treehouse
Treehouse may use your information, including Personal Information, for particular activities, including, without limitation: verifying your identity; customer service, customer relationship management (CRM), marketing and research; providing promotional and other information to you (such as through email marketing) on behalf of Treehouse, Affiliates of Treehouse and Treehouse business partners; responding to your requests; sending you text messages, push notifications, and other notifications through the App and/or your mobile device; contacting you regarding administrative notices; providing you with products and services that you request; communicating with you about your account; detecting, investigating and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal. Treehouse may share your information with its Affiliates or business partners in connection with any of the foregoing activities. In addition, Treehouse Affiliates may have access to your information to perform services on behalf of Treehouse or for use on their own behalf, such as in connection with the aforementioned activities. The privacy policies of Treehouse’s Affiliates and business partners will govern how they use your Personal Information. While we are selective in working with third parties, we are not responsible for their use of your Personal Information.
From time to time, Treehouse may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests, sweepstakes, or surveys on our Sites or Apps. If you choose to participate in those programs, please review the rules associated with the specific program, as it will detail what information we will collect from you, and how it will be used. If you participate, we will request certain Personal Information from you. Participation in these surveys, sweepstakes or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information may include name, address, date of birth, email address. We may share this information with our service provider or co-sponsors for the contest, sweepstakes, or survey. If you do not wish these third parties to receive this information, then please do not participate in the subject survey, contest, or sweepstakes, as we cannot administer these programs without these third parties.
6. Online Tracking and Advertising
- Analyze trends and improve the usability of Sites and Apps;
- Administer the site and gather broad, aggregated demographic statistics;
- Share such non-personally identifiable information with third parties on an aggregate basis;
- Provide useful features to simplify your experience when you return to our Sites and Apps;
- Deliver relevant content based on your preferences, usage patterns and location;
- Monitor and evaluate the use and operation of our Sites and Apps; and
- Analyze traffic on our Sites and on the sites of third parties.
If you have a registration or other type of account with Treehouse, we may associate this tracking data with your account, in which case we will treat it as Personal Information Specifically:
- We, our advertisers and third-party service providers, may use Flash Cookies to collect and store your preferences or display content based upon Sites that you view and to personalize your visit.
- We may use Web Beacons to bring together information we collect about you.
Service providers that collect tracking data on our behalf may provide an opportunity for you to choose not to be tracked online.
7. Sharing Your Information with Other Companies
Treehouse retains the right to share (including by selling) Anonymous Information and Aggregate Information with third parties for any reason. We will not share your Personal Information outside of Treehouse or Treehouse Affiliates except in the following limited circumstances, including:
- Treehouse may share or otherwise disclose your Personal Information with third-parties service providers contracted by Treehouse or Affiliates to assist with internal Treehouse marketing efforts for Treehouse, Affiliates and/or Treehouse’s business partners. We do not receive compensation from these third parties, and we direct them to use your Personal Information only for the purposes of serving our business needs. We vet our vendors, and contractually require them to comply with our practices. If you choose, however, to visit these third party sites directly, any information you provide to them or which they may automatically collect, will be subject to the other company’s privacy practices.
- Treehouse may use and share Aggregate Information with vendors, potential advertisers, business partners, or other third parties.
- Treehouse may disclose Personal Information in any of the following circumstances: (a) in response to a subpoena, search warrant, court order, or other legal process or request, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law or regulation; (b) to protect and defend Treehouse’s rights or property or those of its Affiliates or business partners, or others; or (c) as Treehouse in its sole discretion, believes is appropriate under exigent circumstances in response to a perceived threat to the personal safety, property, or rights of any person or organization.
- Treehouse will use your Personal Information to complete transactions with you, to deliver content that you may request, and to pursue or defend any legal claims regarding your account, your visit to our Site or our Location.
ONWARD TRANSFERS: Since Treehouse’s database is a business asset, in the event Treehouse is reorganized or becomes part of another organization, whether by a merger, sale, or other such transaction, you consent to the sale, assignment, or transfer of your Personal Information to a successor that acquires substantially all of the business assets of Treehouse, or to a Treehouse Affiliate, as applicable.
8. Other Sites
Chats. We use a third party provider to facilitate our online chats. While you will be communicating with an employee of Treehouse, the software that allows for this chat is provided by a third party. We contractually require this third party to facilitate this ‘chat’ solely for Treehouse’s business, and to comply with our privacy practices.
9. Your Controls and Choices; California and EU Residents
If you request to receive information from us, we will reasonably rely on your consent for us to respond and communicate with you about that information, either by postal mail, e-mail, text message, social media, telephone or other form of communication. Further, if you choose to use e-mail, text messaging or telephone for communications about Treehouse, such as a current condition or past experience, we will reasonably rely on your consent for us to respond and communicate with you about your inquiry or concern. We will retain this information as necessary to respond to your inquiry and/or concern.
ALL SITE VISITORS, INCLUDING CALIFORNIA, EU RESIDENTS AND ALL OTHER VISITORS: YOUR RIGHTS. California and EU Residents should also refer to Section 12 below.
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use and sharing of your information. Your controls and choices may include:
- You may correct, update and/or request that we delete your registration account by contacting us at email@example.com
- You may change your choices for subscriptions, newsletters and alerts, and/or unsubscribe at any time.
- You may unsubscribe from receiving offers and promotions for our products and services, or products and services that we think may be of interest to you by following the unsubscribe link in the subject communication.
You may exercise your controls and choices, or request access to your Personal Information, by visiting Treehouse’s subscription and account management center, contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, or following instructions provided in communications sent to you. Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect Personal Information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences. If you have questions regarding the specific Personal Information about you that we process or retain, please contact email@example.com.
WE DO NOT SELL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
10. Data Security
The security, integrity and confidentiality of your information is important to us. We have implemented reasonable policies and procedures in place intended to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it; and we require by contract that our third party vendors adopt similar privacy and data protection practices. However, even though Treehouse uses reasonable measures to protect information, Treehouse cannot guarantee against any loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration or destruction of data or Personal Information. While Treehouse strives to protect your Personal Information, Treehouse cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to or from a Site or an App, by email or otherwise. You are not required to provide to us any Personal Information to us when you browse our Site, but when you choose to provide that information, you are accepting these risks.
You acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations in computer systems and on the Internet which are beyond the control of Treehouse; (b) the security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and Treehouse through Site or Apps, including Personal Information, cannot be guaranteed; and (c) any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with by a third party while such information or data is being used, transmitted, processed, or stored.
12. Comments and Questions
Notice to California and EU Residents: If you are a California resident or a resident of the EU, you have certain additional rights. Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.100 - 1798.199, and the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Information by certain subsidiaries or affiliated entities to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, the right to request what Personal Information we have gathered about you, the right to request that we transfer that information to a third party, and the right to direct us to dispose of that information (subject to our right to retain certain information to enforce our contracts, for law enforcement purposes, and to fulfill our contractual obligations. Further, California law permits registered users who are minors to request and obtain deletion of certain posted content.